Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Jungle #3

dOnce back down from the mountains, we stopped in at the house of one of the guides to have a meal (which according to Amy was the best one yet in Ecuador). The house also had a little farm, with plants that we had never seen up close. Here is a pineapple bush, with a little pineapple growing out of the top. So cool looking.

















Here is a cacao tree. The cacao seeds are found in the pods that hang from the tree. On a side note, we went to Guayaquil last week and saw immense farms of cacao and banana along the sides of the highway. It reminded me of the freeways in the US in the midwest, where you drive for hours and see only corn and wheat.


















Here are the seeds from the cacao pod, they are slimy and covered with some kind of sticky white substance.


















The seeds are laid out on the floor or along side the road to dry. It looks just like when farmers lay out rice alongside the road to dry out before they peel off the husk. Then the seeds are roasted and ground and then made somehow into chocolate. I'm not sure how.




1 comment:

  1. Dear Jorie,
    My name is Lizzy Giles. Do you remember me? Your family and my family used to go to Adventure in South Carolina together. Remember that big huge guy that had a fly on the tip of his finger? I had a great time than. Your dad is at my house right now. He said that if he gets a job here,that him and you people will move over here to Virginia for a little while. I will ask your dad if I can call you and maybe you will remember me.

    Love,Lizzy

    ReplyDelete